Thursday, August 31, 2006

Merdeka

Happy Independence Day! Malaysia is 49yrs old and soon to hit its golden jubilee. And I managed to read most of the newspaper today - surrounding topics on Independence. One article in which I liked was written by Azmi Sharom on The Star about what Merdeka really means to us today. And I believe that if such spirits and convictions leave within each Malaysian, we'd really go far, instead of the constant bickering and empty remarks made by some of our top politicians.

But, let's not start on that. I'm sure most people have already heard comments on that more than once. I want to state some of the things that I love about Malaysian. And I find that what I love about Malaysia is very similar with what most Malaysians love about Malaysia. Here goes:

(not in any order)

1) the variety of 'rojak' food. Some called it fusion cos its so mixed that it has to be unique by itself. Some find the mixture of food grotesque but I think it makes it truly Malaysian.

2) the types of food we actually have. From Klang Bak Kut Teh, to Ipoh Chicken Rice, to Seremban Beef Noodle. Some people literally go all the way to Penang for that Asam Laksa. It's all about food here, and you can find food at any time of the day or night on any day.

3) the language. Most Malaysians speak at least 2 languages. I myself can understand and speak about 5 (including dialects). But the unique thing is when people have 3 languages in one sentence. (and it's a common phenomena) "Ay sai tumpang me go there ah" and new words like "sampat-ing" and "malu-fying".

4) the diverse and rich culture. From the traditions and the clothes. The new generation that don't mind who's culture they are practicing is emerging. We all know each others and celebrate each other's celebration together. Multi-culture society that is truly emerging and mixing yet retaining it's own culture.

5) home-grown cultures. Things like mamak-ing that you don't find anywhere else in the world.

Dislikes? Yes of course I have. But that's not for today.

No comments: