Saturday, October 04, 2008

Chronicles of Down Under: Home of the Crocodile Hunter


So we decided to visit the Australia Zoo in Brisbane and not allow me to miss another chance of seeing Kangaroos and Koalas on my 2nd visit to this country. I mean it's just ridiculous.

How more unique than to visit the home of the most famous (and according to the posters in the zoo "the original") crocodile hunter. Whatever you many think about it, I was excited to visit the world renown family in animal conservation. Personally, I think he left a legacy that was not easily squashed. His family continued his life long misison to save the animals, educate the people about wildlife conservation and so on. His 3yr old son is already walking through the zoo playing with snakes before you can speak properly. No, I didn't actually see them. But I heard. What are you and I doing? *thinks deeper*

Oh, and I did say hello to them kangaroos and koalas. Did not get to hold any though. Other than that, I saw wombats, tasmanian devil, kookaburra, echidna, emu (Steven laughs at my pronunciation), dingoes, and so much more - all uniquely Australia. Of course there were elephants and tigers... I mean it's a zoo right. But these were all rescued wildlife and not caged in an enclosure for the sake of profit. In fact the whole zoo was not for profit. You're allowed to bring food in and they have all kinds of discounts. Since it is so low profit, they do open tables for donation for all kinds of causes and programmes that they are running. Save the crocs, save the tigers, save the whales, etc. The entire experience was educational, every 'show' was but a chance to educate you about wildlife and to promote conservation of them. Literally. There are shows throughout the day through the zoo with different animals, and all handlers are trained to give you facts about the animals and answer any questions you may have. They really know the animal and love them.

You are given the experience of a lifetime to walk amongst the park - sit in the shade with a wallaby, see through a glass while tigers swim and play with their trainers.. up close and personal stuff. Sometimes you can see a trainer taking an animal for walks along the visitors paths. I saw a wombat on a walk! Esther says they take tigers, crocs, koalas, eagles, etc. Like wow. Lynne would have loved this sanctuary. It was what it is named - a haven, a sanctuary for them wildlife.

Yay...!

Back to Main Menu

2 comments:

Elle T. said...

eeee!!!! I'm so jealouss!!! I hope you took tons of pictures! XD

Unknown said...

I'm not jealous...there must've been lotsa "smells"....???