Saturday, October 04, 2008

Chronicles of Down Under: Sunshine State


Brisbane is known as the Sunshine State, for the obvious reason of the sunshine. It's much warmer here
than in Melbourne, which is an airplane distance of only 2 hours. Like KL to Bangkok maybe. The temperature is currently 25degrees Celsius - very much like the temperature, except that the wind blows a chill air on your face, and there's no water in the air. Hot and dry. If it's any consolation, it's cooling at night.



Brisbane is a blooming town in the midst of a small town. You can see a new townhouse built next to a kampung house on stilts, a tall building next to a decades old shop. And yes, people here still live on stilt house
s. Steven and Esther has a disagreement about why so. And really, everywhere you turn you see these kampung houses. I wouldn't say that the sights here are beautiful at all. In fact, I can't find any words for it. It's just all a little messy with roads going all over, construction happening everywhere, people driving a little crazy here too. Now that, Steven says, must be because of the heat. Cos all these... really reminds me of home. And you thought Australia should be all fancy pancy.


I arrived in Brisbane with my right foot so sore that I could no longer bear to walk. It was swollen beyond recognition and pain on the prominent parts where it touches the floor. Both my inner thigh are marked with laceration from my previous jeans. Dav, you're right, it was the threading. And the scar remains till now. Poor me. The fruit of my holiday. Thus I spent a lot of days resting and taking it slow here.

Life with Steven and Esther. As any young couple, they are looking at houses, buying groceries together, cooking and cleaning. It is a big change of scenery from the fast lane in Melbourne and the packed family schedule in Geelong. Oh yea, Esther cooked - she has learnt. The couple prefer slow walks and quiet nights cooking and watching movies. And so it was for me. As my mind began to wander to married life. And if I'll ever be able to effort such luxuries. Hmm....

Next: Home of the Crocodile Hunter
Back to Main Menu

2 comments:

she3p said...

oooooooooooh how i miss this place.....
ehh..i love the desserts shop there la......like all kinds of desserts and gelato....FUH!

@nne said...

i hear gelato is best in melbourne which i did eat there