Friday, September 15, 2006

Caffeine

Caffeine... I'm finding it a very interesting "drug". It reduces fatigue, restores alertness, stimulates the central nervous system so that we can be more effective and better coordinated. Some people claim it doesn't affect them at all and some say it effects them tremendously. For myself, it does what the encyclopedia says. For what the encyclopedia says, click here.

But here's what I'm thinking...

Caffeine's effect on me is good in the sense that I'm less lethargic, more focused thus more effective, able to multitask better, better coordination, more energized, more positive expressions. Overall, I'm more efficient, more useful, less depressed, get more things done, sleep less too.

I want to increase my caffeine dosage but I'm worried bout side effects. So here I am reading up on the side effects first and weighing the consequences.

No, I'm not addicted, not nervous or irritable, no heart palpitations, or muscle twitching as of yet. But I am insomaniac and thus have caffeine-related sleep disorder. In the long run, is it worth it? And what if the effects drop and I have to increase the dosage. At one point it must be bad for me. What if it starts to mess up my organs. I think I need to find a balance and keep it for emergencies.

But as far as I can remember, every morning I wake up grogy. That's why I take coffee to stay alert at work. And if I have lunch that afternoon I'm sleepy again, so coffee is to keep me... alert. And no, I don't take more than one cup a day if I can help it. And this is what I normally take.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm..caffeine..drug..true
Actually it's like what I learnt yest..the increase in benefits (eg hours of wakefulness) decreases til it becomes non-existent after a certain dosage is reached..so any increase in dosage would oni increase d side effects w/o increasing benefits..certainly not sth u want..hehe

FeR said...

ehh...nescafe's got higher caffeine levels than coffee you get from starbucks or even any expresso (i've been told) you get from a cafe. is it true? i dunno! heard from someone in the coffee industry. *wink*

@nne said...

really? how ah? shud i be switching brands? i like instant nescafe red color one.