Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Social Networks


"Sites like Facebook and MySpace need to find more useful applications if they intend to remain relevant and popular."
- "Interest in Social Networks Waning" (under Features section of InTech, The Star 8th April 2008)

And I agree!

Personally I've been tired of all the "cute" irrelevant functions and begun leaving my virtual networks on maintenance mode. I knew I'd bore sooner or later. If only there are functions I could actually use - then it will really take over my life. LOL! Oh no!

The article starts off by talking about the success of virtual networks whose networks are in the millions or more. I forget the actual figure presented to me only a few weeks ago. Please advise if you know. And truly, it's so widespread that who-lah doesn't have an account.... Okay, I actually DO know a few who refuse to be sucked into the trend and remain anti it.

Virtual social networks are the things of today. It has its benefits and problems as well, like everything else ever made. It was through these social networks that I "found" back friends long gone. And I guess in a way, you feel like you're still "connected" to that person some how. But today's generation who depend on these social network to expand their network and build their friendships are missing the authentic relationship that you can have by really being with a person - the joys and the pains built into a support group that really pulls a person together, especially in those dark days when you need it most. COMMUNITY! Though nothing is perfect, we need to learn to balance our life, taking the good and ridding the bad. Or rather learning from the bad.

So did I just promote Facebook or discredit it? Uh... hmm...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

woi.. peer pressure.. so, facebook will have me soon.. maybe 2nite.. maybe this weekend.. tension ler. Though my KPI is March. But, well, better than none, right?