Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Playing house

For the last couple of days, my parents went to Dubai and Cairo for an all-expense paid trip that they won from some credit card competition. In Dubai, they got to stay in Burj Al Arab - an exclusive 7star hotel that would charge you for simply stepping into their foyer. Dubai is said to be one of the most beautiful Arab countries.
PICTURES of my parent's trip.

ANYWAY....
I was home alone. After the weekend, even my sisters left and I was literally home alone. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to feel freaked and worried or excited. I don't remember staying in this home alone for a long period of time before. People around me gave a mix reaction. But I guess perception comes with experience. I was neutral.

The way I see it, In a way, I had a chance to play house... and that, I like.

I watered the plants and fed the dogs.
I cooked and cleaned.

ohyes, I cooked my own dinner and I'm pretty proud about it. Here's the menu:




instant macaroni and cheese with slices of deli chicken, button mushroom, and broiled broccoli. And leftover red wine.







rice cooked with chicken stock, curry chicken (provided by Aunty Pang), broccoli fried with button mushroom. And water.







Though these are not new to most people but I have not for a long time.
AND most people don't have a massive plantation at their doorstep and 4 hungry noisy dogs. It just took much longer to do all that alone. My parents were worried I wouldn't survive. Hmph!

The only time and thing that actually hit me that I was alone was the silence that I hear. In a way, knowing I'm alone, and that there' no one else on the frontline did freak me out a little. I checked the doors and the alarms and the dogs to ensure I was safe. I reminded myself that the house was not very penetrable. And yet when I close my eyes to sleep, a sense of fear creeps in and I opened my eyes with a jolt. I suddenly remembered all the movies, and the stories, and the news.... and I just could not sleep. It was indeed quite long ago since I last felt fear like this - the kind that creeps in your heart and just grips it. I did the only thing I knew to do. I prayed. I clung to God - my tower of refuge. And there is a peace that surpasses all understanding that guards our hearts and our minds in Christ. =) That peace overcame me. And that kept me in one piece the whole time.

No comments: