Saturday, October 21, 2006

Not your everyday testimony

I have a testimony to tell. It gave me renewed faith. I have a story to share.

I was suppose to collect the photostated notes on Friday for the seminar on Saturday before the shop closes for the long holiday. I knew it was closing. I had planned to collect it earlier but I forgot. So I went there after work - the normal time I visit the photostat shop.
So in the midst of panic, Paul said he'd photostate half the bulk in KL (for 8 cents per pc). 70 copies may be too much for one shop in such short notice. The next morning (deepavali morning) I drove around town in a frenzied hurry, searching shop after shop for an opened photostate shop. A small timer will do too. The town was in a buzz, with last minute shoppers, people lepaking for the holiday, and sorts like that. Drivers were being totally inconsiderate (why do drivers think rules don't apply during festive seasons?) . Running out of ideas I opted to search "malls". After much struggle I found parking at KM Plaza (back lane) and ran floor by floor to find the shop.

I caught sight of one. Praise God! I rushed to the shop and pleaded that the lady remained open till I return with my notes. (I only have the softcopy in church and have not even printed it out) She was relunctant but agreed if I would come back fast. 15 minutes I told her. And I dashed to church as fast as I could. I asked God to reserve the parking until I got back (as impossible as that sounds but nevertheless. When you're desperate you're willing to believe anything)I hurried. But in that kinda crowd and traffic, it was quite slow. I returned 45 minutes later, praying she wouold have the heart to wait. Rounding the building for parking was sheer torture. On my second round I jam the brakes and stopped, crying out to God from my desperation, and a car parked next to mine moved. I jumped. I did not see a driver in it. Thanking God I parked. In my hurry I did not notice till later that it was the exact same spot I had asked God to reserve. Impossible you say? Mere coincidence? I highly doubt that.
The shop was still open and kindly photostated the notes. While waiting we chatted and she told me that she had not intend to open that day. She had merely open to photostate something for a friend when I caught her. She never intended for business. Coincidence? I thanked her profusely.

I asked for the receipt and almost froze remembering I have not much cash in my wallet. Though I did not say a word she assured me she would only charge 4cents per page. When I opened my wallet, I found I had the exact amount that was stated on the bill. So I emptied my wallet (save for some smalll change enough for kopi at a roadside kopitiam).

Still think it's coincidence?

Know what I think?

When people get desperate enough and learn to turn to God, God will surely pour out His spirit and answer our cries. God is searching for those who are hungry and thirsty enough so that He can pour out His spirit. That's why revival almost always break out in small towns or villages where people are needy. That's why miracles happen more among the poor.

We live in a generation of plenty. Not in need. Not desperate. Not urgent. That's why we don't see miracles. That's why we don't see God move in our lives. We don't tarry at the altar, we don't really seek Him, we don't even come to God. That's why. Maybe we don't really want to see God move, are not willing to pay the price, don't want to be change.

That day, that morning, I was desperate. Desperate enough.

God still works miracles today.

No comments: