Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lovers of self

I saw a trailer for Renee Zellweger's new film "New in Town" where co-star, Harry Connick Jr. was caught saying (during the interview) that in small towns people generally help each other, even strangers in the middle of the road. No questions asked. If you grew up in a tiny town, you'll be able to understand what he's saying. Because helping another person is only natural. People knew how to love another.

Just the other day I chance upon someone's handphone picture gallery.


Immediately my heart was saddened at the truth behind the words. True in respect to today's generation. True that we find ourselves selfishly doing things for our own gain. That it was about what I felt, what I wanted, what was fair to me, what was my right. We've gotten more vain, more concerned about our image, more conceited, more kiasu.

Think about that for a moment. A lot of our rationalizations are actually attempts to make our selfishness seem less selfish.
I find that I'm guilty of that too.

The scripture that came into mind, where Paul warns Timothy that in the last days people will be lovers of themselves instead.


2 Timothy 3:1-5
But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.
People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive,
disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited,
lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them!


And today we see an entire generation that have fulfilled prophecy.

Let's think about that for a moment....................

11 comments:

she3p said...

eh..sad truth.,......but it's not all hopeless.....it's just that it's difficult to find...u know..

elaine said...

ooh.. I just saw the comment you left me! :P Email me next time la.. anyway, you could make a list of the books you want to buy and when you're about done, I could give you my account info and you could purchase it yourself. OR, I could get it for you and you pay me back.. OR, if you don't have enough books for free shipping (you need like 25 bucks!) you could give me a list and I could go down to the store to get them. :D

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Man, the first thought in my mind was my friend but then I'm like her a little so that brings it right back to me...Haizz...Don't worry Anne, there's another part of a generation fighting against this>>Go AgapianS!!!! =D

@nne said...

sheep: yea there's alw hope. else what wud we b doing in youth ministry rite?

angie: haha it's spelled "agapeans"

Jasmine Chan said...

hey anne! jasmine chan here if u can remember me again 0_0 just dropping by to tanya khabar..

i hv a blog too..

http://jesusmyinspiration.blogspot.com

tk care, God bless =)

Jasmine Chan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jasmine Chan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jasmine Chan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
elaine said...

why the comments keep getting deleted ah?? What happened??? some notty fella posting bad stuff?

@nne said...

haha no la. someone press enter too many times. its the same thing repeated four times over. some connection error for her i suppose.