Monday, March 09, 2009

Book Indulgence


I've always loved books. Used to read 2-3 books a week in higher primary primary and lower secondary. Would visit the second hand bookstores, people's libraries and so on. I loved ETC's and Rachel's book libraries (when I chance to go there for cell those many years ago).
The reality was this:
  • I couldn't afford to be buying books.
  • My sight was worsening as I indulge in books.
  • I was shutting the world out when I sit by myself and read.
  • I had to study.
So I stopped. Read only two books a year. Tops. My eyesight power was too high. Didn't want to risk going blind. I never allowed myself to want to buy books. At least not brand new ones that cost 30-50bucks. To me it was ridiculous. Second hands were okay as they only cost a max of rm20. And so that was how it was. Until one fine day.
  • I realised I could afford.
  • I realised I should read more (my english was deteriorating).
  • I realised my sight had stabalized.
  • I realised I still wanted that library.
So it started one dreary day while I was soothing my down times, walking alone down the aisle of Popular, allowing myself to browse. I saw it. Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility". I actually like classics. And wanted it. And I bought it after another 10minutes of consideration. And read it. And was glad. Recently, I allowed myself the pleasure of buying books. As strange as that statement may sound to many. I actually feel happy after buying a book. I'm also starting to 'get' the shopping therapy. Oh no... And here's the recent addition to my library - one I'm starting to build for Aspirers and for myself (separately). Note to youth: Screwtape letters for Aspirers - about . a senior devil writing letters to his nephew, a junior devil, about how to lure and destroy his human subject. Note to self: I need to start reading the books I'm buying.

No comments: