Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Magnificient Views

Oh I suddenly remembered.... here's something that I simply must tell - be it to the world or to remind myself. A few days ago, it was a Sunday evening, my sisters and I were in a car heading for dinner with the family. The family being in a different car. We've outgrown the ability to fit into just one car (with the grandma and all). So over the ramps of S2 we went, against the backdrop of a setting sun. The scenery we beheld, because of a slightly longer drive we took, was enchanting.

A full semi circle rainbow shone proudly in the east. We could see both ends of the rainbow. As the sun began to set, turning the sky into a strong orangy-yellow, the rainbow's colour became even more vivid. What leaps in our heart when we see a rainbow? Is it not the drawings of an eight year old or a scientific experiment of a young teenager? But to see it strong and vibrant before us... took our breath away. Winne reminded me to fix my eyes on the road instead of to the skies. I thought of what the rainbow meant - a promise of the God Almighty, who created everything that lived and hold us in the palm of His hands, to never destroy the earth with flood again. Which is a relief cos who can stand against that? But it's more than that... it's an assurance that God loves this world so much... and He announces His love across the skies. What's more amazing then that we saw a second lighter rainbow outlining the first. Only a few inches (our measurements) above the main rainbow as if to emphasize its existence. WOW!

The sun was setting behind the cloudy evening sky. The clouds that rained just hours earlier and threatened to rain again, turned angry yellow. Its puffiness in the sky, however, did not give it the fierce impression that it should have. It gave passionate affect to the sun as it said its goodbye for the day. Streams of light shot brilliantly through the clouds in the west. The horizon was bursting with colours: white, yellow, orange, red, and grey. Lynne exclaimed that she should have brought her camera and that she shall get her DSLR for ocassions like these. Of course, none of us had a camera ready for occassions such is these. And that indeed was such a waste. Although I don't think I would have had the guts to be been stopping traffic just to take pictures have I brought one. But the sky was magnificiently brilliant - from east to west - the master artist was just putting his finishing touches. You could see the colour actually getting bolder as time went by (until before it became dark completely).

Of course this was not the picture that I took. I mean what's with the footballers in the stadium? But it was roughly how it look like when it started. Now just imagine yellowish puffy clouds behind the rainbow. The sun was setting on the opposite side, as I said earlier.

Wait, wait, there's more. The description is not over. After all we thought was already majestic, we saw lightning. Can lightning be plural since we saw more than one? Lightning split across the sky and struck horizontally and across the rainbow. Yes, from left to right, and not heaven to earth. Indeed! Those skinny electrical spikes continued to display its power - horizontally! Winne decided that it must be the end of the world. Lynne wondered if it's some kind of special day for such a show. Victor simply gaped at the sight, as did I. Well not as much as I wanted since I was driving.

But yea.. it was an awesome sight! I really wish you were there to see it.

1 comment: