Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Oblivious to petrol hike


After classes at BCM the other day, ETC and I decided to head to LowYat to settle some business. It was only 3+pm and a great way to live the day. Looking at computer stuff. Well once in a while this is supposed to be most thrilling. Repeat it a few more times, and you might get it.

Since we are not KL bred, we decided to ask our classmate to draw us a comprehensive map. You should have seen our comprehensive map. I did not know one long straight road could be continued on 3 separate maps. I propose we include map-drawing in F2 Geography syllabus. (no offense to our map drawer who shall remain anonymous for this purpose)

We headed down the Federal Highway. For the first time I discovered this road had an end and does not actually stretch on forever into the unknown. Following closely to the directions given, we maneuvered through the madness of KL traffic and abiding by the two rules of Malaysian traffic: the Godzilla rule and the bumper rule. The Godzilla rule states that the bigger vehicle has the right of way. The bumper rule states that the vehicle whose bumper is ahead has the right of way.

It wasn't long before I discovered the atrocious road designs in KL and had turned into the wrong lane:

me: This road right
ETC: no, no.. after the temple.

me: but the map shows middle one right

ETC: That is a road? This one lah.

me: I'm turning i'm turning! Where are we now?

ETC: I don't know. We're suppose to see a school

me: Look there are students walking

ETC: No this is the wrong school

me: Ok maybe further down

ETC: I think we're on the wrong road

me: Maybe there's a way to connect further down

ETC: we're LOST. We should U-turn!

me: There's no U-turn anywhere...

ETC: There must be a U-turn somewhere

me: (after 5minutes) There! There!

ETC: ok turn turn turn!

me: Turning turning!

ETC: ok lets go back to the round-a-bout and take the right turn this time

me: Yes yes surely.

ETC: (after another 5 minutes) I see the round-a-bout. THank GOd we're back here. OK just follow the road

me: Oh NO! It's not a round-a-bout

ETC: WHY did they close off the road??

me: We're going back into the Federal Highway .... HOW!

ETC: U-turn. U turn

me: It's a highway! There's NO u-turns!

ETC: Ok just go straight. And turn out at the first junction

me: (another 5 minutes lapse) Ok we're at Midvalley. There's a turning in there that we can use

ETC: NO don't go in.

me: BUT buT BUTTT

ETC: (points straight ahead) Keep going. You don't wanna get caught in the Midvalley jam

me: but we're heading BACK into PJ!!

ETC: Nevermind...

me: At this point we'll might as well go back to BCM and start again seeing that BCM is only a few junctions down
ETC: LOL!

That was somewhat our conversation in between ETC's telephone calls from various people. Our extra trip to KL and back to BCM lost us an entire 45minutes. The second time, we got it right though. Much to the amusement of our dinner party that night and classmates the next day.

No comments: