Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Land below the Wind


I hope I got the tagline correct this time. And this is about time =)


Kota Kinabalu
August 29 - Sept 1, 2009
Kota Kinabalu and Kudat

It was meant to be a short trip for Serena's wedding but decided to extend it just a little longer. Wasted rm160. That's how airlines earn their money. Silly people like us. But it was worth it. Note to self: there are some things more important than money.

Serena's beach-side wedding was beautiful. God held the weather just about right for the entire ceremony and dinner. Congrats Serena and Matthew!


The wedding:Syiok Sendiri Shots
But a trip 2.5hours to KK should not be wasted or over on the first day itself! It was imperative that we also experience the other side of Sabah. Our team's main goal was local delicacies... of which I never knew there were so many. I've forgotten more than half of what they're called exactly or where they're to be found.
While there our tour guide, Unc.Dick, brought us places. In KK there are many must sees. One of which is the mountain of Kinabalu. Taking off at 6 in the morning, we were hustled for breakfast and then to the mountain. Though it was cloudy at first, God cleared the sky at one point, long enough to see the magnificent mountain looming before us. It was a sight to behold.

Another trip (which was new to me and that I absolutely loved) was to the tip of Borneo. Hint: It is the tip of the left ear of the 'wolf' shape of Borneo. It is 3 hours drive from KK and another 3 hours drive back. I can't imagine attempting such a trip on my own though. But the journey was worth it.

But what has always won my heart is neither hill nor delicacies. It is the sound of waves washing ashore and the feel of the wind against my skin. I love the feel of soft sand caressing my toes and the cool sea water teasing at my feet. My heart leaps at the wide open and inviting sea for miles and the sky so high and so blue, with the sun peeping through the clouds or falling over the horizon. Oh how I wish I had taken the time to soak it all in and to stand in awe. How I wish I was bold enough to let my heart soar with the wind and just let all my guards down. The ocean beckons you to leave all your troubles behind and calms every wild emotion. How it fills my tank.

No comments: