Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Second Mile

Sometimes you wonder how far the second mile takes you. I preach that people don't go far enough to care and to love. People don't do what the Samaritan did anymore. Newspapers even debate on how it no longer pays to be the good Samaritan. No wonder people have stopped helping their neighbours. Worldwide through, people have gotten more self centered and secluded, unwilling to help, unwilling to go out of their ways.

"He has sent me to proclaim freedom to prisoners and recovery of sight to the blind, to release the oppressed and proclaim the year of the Lord's favour" (Luke 4:19)

Jesus has commanded us to love our neighbours, to care for widows and orphans, to feed the poor. His heart was all about the people. I believe truly that Mother Theresa knew what it meant to care for the sick and hungry. She knew the heartbeat of Jesus. Many profess that they can't do what she does. But really, the needs of people are right before our eyes. If we can't even get up early to fetch someone, why talk bout going into another nation; If we can't even walk across the street to say hello to our neighbours, why talk bout preaching the gospel to strangers; If we can't even spare a few extra hours to listen to an acquainance's plight, why cry about the plights of our youths. How little we understand about caring and loving people. How truly little we understand the heartbeat of Jesus. We confess that we are His followers yet little that we do resembles Him.

I asked God to use me to comfort the troubled, bring hope to the hopeless... but when put to the test, my heart was troubled. How much was I truly ready to give or do to help one in need? Much was to my advantage as I saw it: a am young, and a lady. Yet God never gave conditioned, He only look for the willing. It was out of my comfort zone, out of my control or wisdom. I felt more helpless than helpful, and I wondered what indeed was the limit? I felt little compassion in my heart when I helped. I felt no desire to be more involved. I felt ashame. What does Jesus think of me? Do I truly understand what it meant to CARE? I felt discouraged. Disheartened. Disillusioned altogether.

But during prayer meet soon enough, Pastor prayed that God will guide us when we know not what to do, what to say or speak. That so often it seem beyond our control or strength. But that God alone was to be our source, to trust that we are but instruments where God can work His grace. Nothing I can think or do or say that can reach into another soul, but if I allow God, miracles takes place. All glory to Him. Forever, Amen.

No comments: