Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Doulos

Doulos is a ship build in 1914 (only two years after the titanic) and it sails around the world - not for fun, but to bring knowledge, help and hope. It's more than a passenger ship. It's more than a floating bookfair. It has a purpose, a mission. And with a greater purpose like that it is no wonder they survived almost a century. "Without vision people perish."

What amazes me and probably the world, is that all crew on board are volunteers, all books and materials are donated... And with that they travel the world not to just sell books. But also to walk the streets, bring relief to suffering, minister and bless. I think it's an exciting idea to join the doulos for a while but alas circumstances forbids me.

About six of the crew members dropped by last Saturday for lunch with us (the youth group) and they sang for us, shared bout the ministry, and basically hung out. I was proud to say that they merged in pretty well.
Our trip to the doulos on Wednesday was a fruitful one. My first time on an actual ship. I watched how they worked and ministered. I think it's quite exciting. Bought me some books too but I don't splash money very much so it was pretty limited. However sometimes i wish I had bought more cos it wasn't very pricey and it would have been helpful for materials. Hmm....

No comments: