Saturday, March 11, 2006

Never too old to learn new things

In the course of the week, I attended two different courses a.k.a. seminars. And it was good. Who says you are too old to learn? I love learning stuff. Will love it even more if it doesn't cost that much and preferably no exam. They say in NZ you could learn for life. And at the barest minimum. Isn't that awesome. If I had that sort of opportunity, there's just so much that I want to learn.

Not sure if it was too much on the brain though. You feel you want to learn all you can. Your brain feels like a sponge, it can at first absorb so much.. but soon it begins to feel difficult. You have not after all finish digesting the earlier one. I remember there were some seminars I attended with arms folded, thinking what have you got that I don't already know. Pride. I've learnt that there always is something to learn. And only a receptive heart will receive the most. And now I remind myself all the time that "I want to learn". And truly I do. I want to have a teachable heart, humble and willing. Then I will grow!

The two things i attended was: DISC profiling and the Million leader Mandate.

DISC profiling: I learnt bout how God created people with variety and that it was good. Our personality is made up of our character and our temperament, of which only the character can be changed, whilst the temperament is a inborn setting. That temperemant is what we know as the DISC.
D - dominant, risk takers, hot tempered, confident, driven
I - influential, sociable, easily distracted, spontaneous, procrastinator
S - steady, stable, hate insecurity, slow to change, loyal
C - compliant, perfectionist, systematic, thorough, sensitive

After a short test, I found myself to be a high S (also known as phlegmatic) with secondary D and C. This test helped me understand myself better and hope to improve what I lack. I also learnt how to work with people of other temperaments. understanding people's temperament help me be more patience towards others as well as work in our best interest. Knowing that we are created the way we are for a specific purpose. God used various temperament leaders for different situations and God's methods of handling people were examplary.

Did you ever realise that God spoke to Moses (Compliant) thru a burning bush and not a light from Heaven while Paul (Dominant) needed that light. Realise how God very slowly guided Abraham (Steady) out of the land he was dwelling while he told Paul (Dominant) to rise up and go. Noticed how Jesus asked Peter (Influence) over breakfast three times the same thing while he patiently answered all of Moses' (Compliant) questions. Isn't it amazing that God understands us perfectly and chooses to work with us at our level?

Million Leader Mandate (MLM): "Everything rises and fall on the leadership" says Dr John Maxwell. It takes a lot to be a leader. And all the more a Christian leader need to be equip to be effective. A leader's ministry is the people and that's why all the more we need to do it well. We are after all leading people. Should not a Christian be the most charasmatic of people, what more a Christian leader. Whoever said it was easy? There's just so much, from God's call to having a passion and vision, from communicating well to people skills, from effecient strategic planning to setting priorities. MLM was formed to train effective Christian leaders to lead.

According to its statistics after 2000 years only 30% of the world's population is a Christian. Something is so wrong man. Why have we become stagnant in our faith? I have also believed that effective leaders can bring its ministry to greater heights. I have always felt that I was never equipped enough and thus strive to learn more from wherever I can. I also believe in training and equipping my leaders in the Word and in skills so that we can be more effective for Christ. Being in a leadership position is not just a title and will benefit noone if we are all agreeable. It's time to shake the bees nest. It's time to rise up and make an impact and a difference to the people around us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this entry is so inspiring..i didnt know it can be illustrated like that...wow...awesome...:)